Allergies come in many different forms. Pollen is a common culprit, but people can be allergic to almost anything. Here are a few lesser-known causes of allergies to watch out for.
1) Beer– A protein in barley (used in many beers) called LTP can cause itchy skin, headaches, and nausea.
2) Cold– Cold temperatures prompt the skin to produce histamine, an organic nitrogen compound that makes blood vessels contract– and that some people are allergic to (along with similar “chemical mediators” produced when the body feels cold).
3) Cell phones– Yes, you can have an allergic reaction to your cell phone, or at least the nickel used in it (as well as in belt buckles and watch bands). Nickel can cause a rash that’s frequently mistaken for eczema.
4) Water– Although it is rare, aquagenic uticaria is recognized as a condition in which contact with water causes itching, pain, and hives. Even tears can trigger a reaction.
5) Shoes-Leather, as well as the resins used to treat it and the glues used in footwear manufacturing, can cause inflammation and cracked skin. One in roughly 500 people suffers from the condition and must avoid leather in their clothing.