Alzheimer’s disease is the sixth leading cause of death in the United States and the only cause of death among the top 10 for which medical treatments are unable to prevent or slow the progression of the disease to any appreciable degree. Research reveals that only 2% of all cases of Alzheimer’s disease are linked to genetic inheritance. So what is causing the other 98%? Studies have shown that specific dietary practices play a major role in the development of Alzheimer’s disease—and in its prevention.
1) Control your Cholesterol– by keeping your blood cholesterol below 3.9 mmol/L by consuming a low-animal fat diet, avoiding trans fats, hydrogenated fats and organ meats.
2) Balance your Blood sugar– Keep your fasting blood sugar level below 5.0 mmol/L, as higher glucose levels lead to type 3 diabetes—a form of Alzheimer’s disease caused by high blood glucose and insulin.
3) Maintain Your Ideal Body Weight– Overweight individuals have a higher risk of Alzheimer’s disease, primarily due to higher levels of circulating insulin and glucose levels—leading to type 3 diabetes.
4) Add a Multivitamin/Mineral to Your Daily Nutrition Routine– Take a high-potency multiple vitamin/mineral each day that contains a B-50 complex, 1,000 IU of vitamin D, and all the major antioxidants. (Ask us about the multiple vitamin that we use)
5) Get Plenty of Fatty Acids-Take an essential fatty acid supplement each day that contains fish, flaxseed, and borage oil. The capsule should contain 400 mg of each of these three oils. This daily dosage supplies the amount of EPA/DHA that has been shown to reduced the risk of Alzheimer’s disease in large populations studies.
6) Make Melatonin Matter– After age 40, take a melatonin supplement one hour before bedtime. By age 40, melatonin secretion rates from the pineal gland in the brain have declined significantly. Melatonin is a vital brain antioxidant, sleep inducer, and immune modulator. Low melatonin levels are linked to cognitive impairment and Alzheimer’s disease.
7) Preserve the Memory Chemical-After age 55, take a supplement each day that helps preserve brain levels of the memory chemical, acetylcholine. After age 55, brain synthesis of acetylcholine declines. Low levels of acetylcholine area hallmark feature of dementia and Alzheimer’s disease.
8) Don’t damage the Brain– Avoid known brain-damaging substances. For example, don’t drink excessive alcohol. Alcohol kills brain cells. If you drink alcohol, have no more than 3 drinks per week. Don’t smoke. Free radicals in cigarette smoke cause brain oxidation and increase the risk of cerebrovascular disease. Don’t use recreational drugs, as many are known to cause brain damage.
9)Keep your Mind Sharp– Keep your brain active by learning a new activity or new language. Examples include learning a musical instrument, taking dance lessons, playing ping-pong, and learning a new skill or subject outside of your usual skill set, career endeavor, or leisure-time hobbies. This helps to carve new brain circuits, which keep the brain young.
10) Protect Your Head– Finally avoid head injuries by wearing a helmet whenever cycling, skiing, rollerblading, etc. ( any activity with the potential for a slip, fall or other circumstance that could cause the head to be injured); and avoiding high risk head injury activities.