What is Fibromyalgia?
Fibromyalgia is a common syndrome in which a person has long-term, body-wide pain and tenderness in the joints, muscles, tendons, and other soft tissues. Fibromyalgia has also been linked to fatigue, sleep problems, headaches, depression, and anxiety.
What causes Fibromyalgia?
The cause is generally unknown. Possible causes or triggers of fibromyalgia include:
- Physical or emotional trauma
- Abnormal pain response – areas in the brain that are responsible for pain may react differently in fibromyalgia patients
- Sleep disturbances
- Infection, such as a virus, although none has been identified
What are the signs and symptoms of Fibromyalgia?
Pain is the main symptom of fibromyalgia. It may be mild to severe.
- Painful areas are called tender points. Tender points are found in the soft tissue on the back of the neck, shoulders, chest, lower back, hips, shins, elbows, and knees. The pain then spreads out from these areas.
- The pain may feel like a deep ache, or a shooting, burning pain.
- The joints are not affected, although the pain may feel like it is coming from the joints.
People with fibromyalgia tend to wake up with body aches and stiffness. For some patients, pain improves during the day and gets worse at night. Some patients have pain all day long.
Pain may get worse with activity, cold or damp weather, anxiety, and stress.
Fatigue, depressed mood, and sleep problems are seen in almost all patients with fibromyalgia. Many say that they can’t get to sleep or stay asleep, and they feel tired when they wake up.
Other symptoms of fibromyalgia may include:
- Irritable bowel syndrome (IBS)
- Memory and concentration problems
- Reduced ability to exercise
- Numbness and tingling in hands and feet
- Tension or migraine headaches
Natural Fibromyalgia Treatment
How do we treat Fibromyalgia?
One of the many amazing things about our practice of Applied Kinesiology is that it allows us to communicate directly with the systems in your body along your acupuncture meridians and we can get to root causes very efficiently. We do not chase symptoms. We seek out the problem and define what we believe is the best course of action to correct it. Very often, fibromyalgia symptoms can be presentations of allergic reactions, heavy metal toxicity, undiagnosed lyme disease or any of multitudes of environmental factors.
How do I get started?
The ideal way to start is to schedule a consultation or attend one of our monthly, in-office wellness seminars. You can RSVP by calling our office at 847.888.4770 or visit our Wellness Classes page and sign up in the right-hand column! We look forward to hearing from you and starting down the road to true wellness!