Some surprisingly tasty foods can help you better control blood sugar levels. Keep an eye out for these choices the next time you’re at the supermarket. Oatmeal and green leafy vegetables are two well known examples of foods that can make blood sugar management easier.
1) Chia Seeds-Studies report that the fiber and protein content of chia seeds can slow digestion and help keep blood sugar levels balanced. These seeds are also a high source of omega-3 fatty acids.
2) Chili Peppers-Studies have shown that when meals are made with chili peppers, lower amounts of insulin are needed after that meal to regulate blood sugar levels. They can be added to salmon or chicken as a rub to add some heat.
3) Vinegar-Studies have shown that having two tablespoons of vinegar before a meal can reduce the spike in blood concentrations of insulin and glucose after the meal. Start your meal with a salad in a vinegar based dressing to get the benefits.
4) Nuts-One study has shown that eating nuts in combination with carbohydrates helps keep blood sugar levels from spiking after a meal.
5) Cinnamon– This can be used in a number of different ways. It can be used in hot drinks to add some flavor as well as a dry rub to chicken and beef.
5) Yogurt– Common probiotics such as Lactobacilllus and Bifidobacterium have been shown to improve total cholesterol and LDL cholesterol levels in people with diabetes. Try Greek yogurt with a half a cup of blueberries and a sprinkle of chopped walnuts for a delicious breakfast. Substitute yogurt for sour cream to make a healthier version of your favorite dip. Use yogurt in place of mayo in chicken salad and egg salad recipes. Look for yogurts without sugar or high fructose corn syrup.